Month: July 2017
INFUSED WATER: EXPANDING YOUR WATER OPTIONS
Infused water is the process of adding fruits, vegetables, and herbs to your water, then letting these ingredients flavor the water. Infused water expands your water options by providing a variety of tastes, plus nutrients from the produce and herbs. These waters will make water more appealing so you want to drink more.
Here are the basics: filtered water is always better, both for quality and flavor. Start with room temperature or cold water.
Organic produce is best because there aren’t added fertilizers and other chemicals. If not using organic produce, wash more carefully.
Rinse all fruits or vegetables well and cut them at least in half to release their flavors. Hard fruits or vegetables like cucumber and apples need to be cut into thin slices. Herbs should be crushed to release their oils, with the exception of leafy herbs like mint or basil.
Put your produce into a pitcher designed for infusing (see below). Alternatively, you can use a glass pitcher or BPA-free and food-safe container. Then add the water.
Let the water infuse on the counter for about 2 hours, or in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or overnight.
Ideally, drink the infused water within 24-48 hours after completion of the infusing process. If you go into a third day, remove the produce.
You can replenish the water 2-3 times with the same produce if it is in within the first day or a little longer.
Here is one of a number of infusion pitchers available through Amazon.com. These are especially great if you don’t want the fruit or vegetables floating around in your water and have to dip them out. Below is one style. Here’s the link to their selection: Infused Water Pitchers
Six Facts and Tips About Water For Health
In the middle of the summer, with temperatures soaring in so many places, to the point of serious danger to health and well-being, we hear over and over: “Stay hydrated.” The message is actually important all year.
Avoiding dehydration and heat stroke during the hottest time of year is crucial; water is beneficial all year around for a variety of reasons. It is the original health drink!
Here are Six Facts and Tips:
1) The recommendation is still 6-8 (or more) 8 ounce glasses of water daily.
2) If you have an aversion to plain water, add a slice or juice of lemon, lime or other fruit to give it some flavor.
3) Lemon water can help to cleanse toxins out of your body. It can improve enzyme function and help to clean out your liver as well.
4) Water helps keep your temperature normal.
5) Water helps lubricate and cushion joints, as well as protects your spinal cord and other sensitive tissues.
6) You can get some fluids through the foods that you eat. For example, broth soups and foods with high water content such as celery, tomatoes, or melons can contribute to fluid intake.
Taking water with you helps you get the amount you need. To save money on bottled water and be sure you have good quality water, have water bottles for each member of the family, as well as pitchers with filters :